Sunday, February 6, 2011

New crafting project: Recreating a memory while learning to crochet

     I like to be a crafty person but just like writers get writers block and loose their inspiration the same will happen with me and crafting projects.  Then out of nowhere a random thought or idea will pop in my head and BAM im inspired to start a new project and Im all about getting started in it.  This time it was learning to crochet for the purpose of recreating a blanket I remembered from my parents when I was a kid.

The blanket that inspired me to learn to crochet

First skein of yarn and assorted
crochet hooks 
     With inspiration in mind I started searching youtube for videos showing how to crochet.  I found a video series that was making the kind of blanket I wanted to make, which is a "granny square".  After watching the videos a few times I decided that surely this would be a easy task to take on and immediately headed to my local Walmart to grab supplies at two in the morning.  I found the hooks and kept in mind what colors I needed.  I wanted to recreate the same blanket so that meant I would need white, yellow, orange, and brown.  I didnt want to overdo it on the supplies so I just picked up the white for now and headed back to my hotel.
Frustrated with not being able
to figure it out.
     Yarn and hooks in hand I brought back up the youtube video and started attempting to follow the instructions.  Well this is where the fun ends and the frustration begins.  The easy task became this crazy thing I couldn't follow.  I literally restarted numerous times and couldn't figure it out resulting in restart after restart.  I decided to give it a break, posted my frustration with my new project on Facebook and found other things to do till it was time to go to bed.


     The next night I gave it another go and once again I just couldn't figure it out.  I posted yet another Facebook post asking my crafting friend if they could suggest any sites that could help me figure this frustrating, supposedly easy, task out.  A friend suggested www.craftown.com so I decided to check it out.  I found a link on the site showing how to crochet and suddenly they way they were showing things made sense.  I queued up the youtube video once again with a sense of purpose and successfully managed to create my first square.  
Finally I think I figured it out!

     Now granted its not the best but its a start and the important thing is I did it.  So now Im going to keep going with this project.  Lord help me when I have to figure out how to switch colors but I should be good for a while.  Ill continue to post updates on this project as I go along.  With all the alone time I have being on solo projects for work at the moment I should be able to get some decent progress into this!


No comments:

Post a Comment